***This position is not currently open. But we’re always looking for smart people to join our team. If this job description sounds like you, send us your application anyway.***
We are committed to doing whatever it takes to build a legendary workplace — and you’re going to lead us. We have an amazing culture and mission. We’re good at what we do. But we don’t have the systems to keep it real and keep us aligned as we grow.
The VP People is a culture leader, HR expert, team builder, and program builder whose mission is to make GasPedal an amazing place to work for mission-driven leaders and doers by creating:
- Cultural alignment around our mission and methods.
- Professional and personal growth opportunities based on a learning culture, training program, leadership development, and personal accountability.
- World-class HR programs that support employee happiness and retention.
- Recruiting programs that attract A players who our culture fits.
Your job is to build a special place to work using a world-class talent and culture program. Recruit a stellar team, enable them to do their best work, and help them grow. Then align everyone around culture, mission, and our community product. Do it with zero compromises.
You’re a culture leader who defines, teaches, and lives our culture and core values. Build a program around the philosophies and practices that make an enlightened workplace. You’re thinking on a strategic/visionary level and can collaborate with our leadership to make it real.
You’re a teacher who creates a culture of constant improvement. Give us training programs so we can master our craft and grow personally and professionally. With your team, you’ll create rich curricula that make us experts on the company, the product, and our jobs.
You’re an HR leader who runs a stellar HR program that attracts, develops, and retains great talent — while protecting our healthy culture. Define roles so everyone knows what to do and how to win. Create a culture of accountability and growth through great feedback.
You can manage the recruiting program and recruiters who can build systems to source, woo, and win people like us, so we can fill roles as we grow without lowering our standards. Recruit a team that lives our values and raises the bar on skills. You help us tell our story and use our culture and mission to compete for top talent.
The VP People is a department leader and member of the senior management team (but still a hands-on doer). Your direct reports include a recruiter, L&D team, and support staff as needed. Day-to-day HR and benefits management can be handled either by your team or by our Operations Team.
We’re looking for a leader who’s ready to do this big, and do it right.
We’ve built a place for people who want to do great work, with meaning, with people they like, for the long term. We’ve eliminated the negativity and BS that makes most offices awful. We have a well-defined, mature culture — and we’re always making it better.
Your challenge: Help us grow faster without screwing it up.
We’re pretty far along on this journey, with a good foundation in place. We have great hiring systems, but we’re just getting started on sourcing. Our culture is rich, but it needs to be documented and taught in a way that will scale up. Our training programs are barely started, so you’ll be building those from scratch.
To get there, you’ll need to:
- Recruit a team that lives our values and raises the bar on skills.
- Provide ongoing opportunities for growth and learning, and deep training for new staff.
- Define clear roles and responsibilities, so everyone knows what to do and how to win.
- Provide a clear and effective feedback/evaluation system that creates a culture of accountability.
- Define, teach, live, and defend our culture and core values.
When you’re done, everyone will be talking about GasPedal as an employer of choice, side-by-side with culture legends like Southwest and Zappos. (But to get a better sense of where we’re going, read Small Giants.)
You’ll need this experience:
- Run HR at a high-growth company expanding from 30 to 150 people.
- Have built and managed culture, training, and recruiting programs.
- Deep sophistication around culture and talent.
- Experienced manager and member of an executive team.
- Stellar communications skills and can represent the organization externally. You have strong writing skills and can produce content to spread our message.
- A hands-on generalist who can roll up your sleeves and get it done from idea to launch.
- Process-driven thinker who can create and refine systems to improve operations.
- Awesome attitude, positive vibe, good cheer, and great sense of humor.
Bottom line: This is a job for a true believer in mission, vision, and culture. If you’re one of us, you’ll find your true home with our family. You’ll spend your career in charge of building the workplace you’ve always wanted.
Some important details
How to get this job: Submit an application here. We want to see a great cover letter, resume, and anything else that shows us how you write, think, and work. Show us what you’ve done and how you can do it for us.
Location: This is a full-time, in-the-office position at our Austin ranch (check it out here). No relocation assistance is provided, and we don’t hire telecommuters.
Compensation: We offer good pay, plus great benefits, perks, and bonuses. We’re never going to have an IPO or sell out to a bigger company — we’re in this for the long term. Financials are transparent, and we all succeed together.