Learning and Development Director
***This position is not currently open. But we’re always looking for smart people to join our team. If this job description sounds like you, send us your application anyway.***
The Learning and Development Director is a curriculum developer, trainer, and culture communicator whose mission is to create a learning program and culture that allows us to grow our skills and master our craft by creating:
- Rich training curriculum for all roles, skills, and methods
- Effective documentation that turns tribal knowledge into operational knowledge
- Deep shared understanding of company mission, values, culture, and product
You build a rich training curriculum that helps people learn their jobs, skills, and methods. New hires are quickly immersed so they can succeed more quickly. Existing staff have the tools they need to constantly grow through formal training and self-directed learning.
You turn our tribal knowledge and existing documentation into a living, useful reference tool. Effective documentation allows us to capture the extensive knowledge that we have throughout the company and build upon it. Everyone can perform their best because we can learn and build on the best practices that make us so effective. We are able to capture new techniques and roll out continual improvements as fast as we learn them.
You bring us together through a deep shared understanding of why we are here. You create definitive teaching tools so everyone can understand our mission and values. You help us build a stronger company by aligning us around culture and shared methods of working together. You make sure we all understand the core product and principles that keep us working toward the same goal.
- Build and manage the program: You’ll create the infrastructure for a top-tier L&D program. You’ll create strategy, choose and implement the learning platforms, manage the rollout, and excite the team. You’ll also measure performance.
- Create the curriculum: You’re the hands-on curriculum developer. That means you’re deep in the content as the primary writer and instructional designer. Later we’ll add more writers to the team, but it’s up to you to develop the first-generation content.
To succeed in this role, within one year you will create documentation and training for each department, culture and mission, shared skills and methods, and the core community product.
We have an incredibly collaborative workplace, where you’ll be part of a generous team that will help you win. The L&D Director is a member of the Talent team, working with the VP of Talent and Recruiting Director. Our Communications Team provides additional support with editorial, print, and web design. As the company grows, we expect this role to be supported by instructional designers and trainers.
Here’s what will make you great at this job:
- Experience building and running learning and development programs. You know the latest tools, techniques, and strategies.
- Skill with the tools, including LMS, wikis, and evaluation tools.
- Fantastic teaching, training, and communications skills.
- Exceptional writing and content creation skills.
- Deep knowledge of culture-driven and mission-driven workplaces.
Here’s what it’s all about in the end: We have an incredible team driven by passion and a mission of service. We’re really good at what we do for our members. But as we grow, it’s clear that it’s too hard to understand the scope of knowledge and subtleties of how we got so good.
It’s too hard to scale our spirit, culture, and tribal knowledge to the next generation of teammates. We want you to join us and help us serve our team and communities, bring us together as a team through shared understanding, and help us grow as people and professionals.
Some important details
How to get this job: Submit an application here. We want to see a great cover letter, resume, and anything else that shows us how you write, think, and work. Show us what you’ve done and how you can do it for us. If you’re not sure this is the right position for you, please do apply anyway. We’ll help you figure out where you fit on the team.
Location: This is a full-time, in-the-office position at our Austin ranch (check it out here). No relocation assistance is provided, and we don’t hire telecommuters.
Compensation: We offer good pay, plus great benefits, perks, and bonuses. We’re never going to have an IPO or sell out to a bigger company — we’re in this for the long term. Financials are transparent, and we all succeed together.